People residing in humid weather conditions often fall prey to severe allergies. The main reason behind the same is the build-up of mildew, moulds, dust mites as well as seasonal allergens.
A dehumidifier can come to your rescue in such a scenario by sucking out the excess air moisture. Dehumidifiers can be divided into three categories depending upon their capacity to remove water from the air.
While small models remove between 30-35 pints of moisture daily, medium models can remove a maximum of 50 pints per day and the large ones can cater to the removal of 60-70 pints of moisture daily.
Today we are going to discuss about the five best dehumidifiers operating with a pump mechanism and the things which need to be considered while purchasing the same.
Buying Guide Of Dehumidifiers
A loud dehumidifier can create a nuisance especially during the night if you have placed the same in your bedroom.
The ones having two-speed fans operate noiselessly at low humidity levels apart from saving energy costs.
It definitely pays to test the noise level of your dehumidifier before purchasing the same.
Auto Shut Off
This becomes a requisite feature if you cannot exercise control over your dehumidifier at all times.
In such cases, the overflow protection valve switches off the entire device once the tub becomes full and requires drainage.
Some of the top-edge model even feature indicator lights and alarms to alert you whenever the bucket gets full.
A dehumidifier which performs with equal brilliance even at low temperatures can serve you in the best possible manner.
The heat exchange coils of standard dehumidifiers tend to freeze when internal temperature drops below 60-65 degree Fahrenheit.
Hence you need to look for a unit having 40-45 degree of Energy Star certification.
You might initially be required to bear some extra cost for getting this feature.
But it will surely pay back in the long run by buffering you from the expense of frequent replacement due to damaged ice coils.
Mobility stands out as an extremely important factor especially if you wish to move around your dehumidifier from one room to another.
This can help you in catering to all the corners of your house and even your basement with equal precision.
Several models are equipped with filters which buffer the coils from all forms of dust and dirt.
Bringing home a machine featuring easily removable and washable filters can actually add to the overall longevity of the device.
Washing the filters twice monthly can safeguard you from the requirement of replacing them every now and then.
Water Retaining Capacity
Dehumidifiers having large drip pans require less frequent emptying. But this can also add up to its cost.
The ones having front-loading buckets are the easiest to empty. Most of the modern-day dehumidifiers come packed with self-draining mechanism as well as a drain-hose connection.
However, they will have to be properly placed for emptying the water into the laundry room sink or basement floor drain.
Having a dehumidifier with automated controls can help you in monitoring relative humidity levels with absolute ease.
The optimum level of humidity in your house should range between 30-50% in winter ad 40-50% in summer.
The built-in hygrometers of the dehumidifier can easily measure the relative humidity while the adjustable humidistat helps in selecting a desired level for being maintained over a specified time period.
Last but not the least, you need to consider your available floor space and the size of the dehumidifier before taking your ultimate purchase call.
For this, you need to have adequate knowledge about the square footage area you wish to dehumidify as well as the general moisture level.
1. Tosot 70 Pint with Internal Pump 4500 Sq. Ft. Energy Star Dehumidifier
TOSOT has emerged into a popular name amongst American households with its top-notch offerings and its latest dehumidifier also stands true to this general consensus.
With a maximum sound level of 52 decibels, the TOSOT dehumidifier will hardly disturb you with its operation.
The sound produced at 50 decibels is equivalent to that of hushed home conversations or even a secluded suburban street.
For ensuring clean and healthy functioning, you will be required to clean the filter of your dehumidifier once every 250 hours.
Even when you forget about the same, the filter light on its display screen will illuminate to remind you about the upcoming cleaning.
You can opt for mild detergent and warm water for cleaning your filter and need to dry it out completely before reinstalling.
The drain bucket also will have to be drained every five hours if it is running on a continuous basis.
However, the spill-resistant baffles and swivel handle of the drain bucket keeps you buffered from the risk of spillage. You can also opt for a drain hose if you are tired of doing it manually.
This dehumidifier reverts back to its earlier settings after a power outage so that you don’t have to adjust the same manually.
This versatile machine can pull moisture out of your basement for creating a safer and more comfortable environment for your family.
What We Liked:
- Quiet operation ensures that you do not get distracted while carrying out your daily chores.
- It reverts back to its previous settings in the aftermath of a power outage so that you don’t have to reset the appliance manually.
- Ideal for being placed at your house basement for removing about 9 gallons of moisture on a daily basis.
- Energy Star certified dehumidifier brings down your electric bills and levies a minimal environmental footprint.
- Ergonomically designed unit having intuitive controls which can be mastered by all your family members with ease.
2. Ivation 70 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier with Pump
The Ivationdehumidifier can serve as the perfect pick for people residing in tropical zones where the level of humidity serves as a substantial cause of concern.
Weighing at just 45 pounds, this dehumidifier can fit into most spaces. Its dual fan settings assist in customizing air regulation so that you can remove moisture effectively from a 4500 square feet area.
It also becomes extremely easy to move around the Ivation model coupled with its caster wheels so that you can cater to even the farthest corners of your house.
The efficient evaporation and filtration system of the Ivation dehumidifier ensures a pleasant and safe atmosphere to prevent the build-up of mildew and mold which are infamous for causing mites, allergens and asthma.
You can easily pump up water vertically over a height of 16.4 feet coupled with its efficient 16-watt built-in pump.
This in turn paves the path for continuous upward drainage of moisture either into the sink or out of a basement window.
The Ivation dehumidifiercaters to your comfort meter by removing 70 pints of moisture on a daily basis.
You can either empty the 2.25-gallon reservoir or hook it up with an optional hose for incessant draining. It’s easy to use LCD interface assists in exercising control over the moisture level and fan speed.
What We Liked:
- Energy Star certification inflicts minimal environmental footprint while bringing down your electric bill.
- LED display notifies fan speed, filter alert, timer as well as other settings.
- 16W built-in fan helps in draining water continuously into the sink.
- Can remove up to70 pints of moisture daily to quarantine your home from the growth of mildew, mold, allergens, dust and pungent odor.
- Simple plug and play setup makes it the ideal choice for being used by people of all age groups.
3. Ivation 70 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier with Pump, Large Capacity Cofor Spaces Up To 4,500 Sq Ft
Make the most of humid summer seasons with this innovative product from Ivation which can act as a shield from the growth of mildew and mold serving as breeding ground for other allergic repercussions.
The Ivation dehumidifier can serve as the ideal choice in houses suffering from restricted floor space as it can fit in easily to even the tiniest of corners with its 40 pounds’ stature.
It also becomes super easy to move around the dehumidifier coupled with its caster wheels which do not show any signs of wear and tear even after being used for long.
The dual fan settings help in adjusting the moisture level in accordance with your preference for effective removal of moisture from a 4500 square feet area.
Maintaining the Ivation dehumidifier seems like child’s play as you can hook it up with the optional hose for continuous drainage or empty its 1.3-gallon reservoir on receiving the auto-shutoff reminder.
The Ivation dehumidifier can usher in tremendous relief during humid months by removing 70 pints of moisture on a daily basis.
This in turn can prevent structural cracking and buffer your family from asthma triggers.
What We Liked:
- Transparent level indicator on the 1.3-gallon tank helps in understanding when to drain out the same.
- Washable air filter can be recycled on receiving the clean-filter alert for enhancing the dehumidifier’s longevity.
- You can choose between the two available fan speeds of turbo and regular for guaranteeing optimal comfort.
- It is possible to correctly gauge the room’s humidity from the LCD display for setting ideal levels to control the moisture content automatically.
- Can be moved around easily from one room to another coupled with its 4 durable and smooth-sliding caster wheels.
4. Haier Energy Star 70 Pt. Dehumidifier with Built-in Pump
Haier blends in good looks with efficiency in its Energy Star certified model which can clean your room from 70 pints of moisture on a daily basis.
At just 45 pounds, this compact dehumidifier can serve as the perfect addition to your living space especially if you are residing in a cramped housing.
Its pristine white color can fit in beautifully with your existing décor while accentuating its aesthetic appeal.
You can be alerted by the alarm and bucket-full indicator light whenever the dehumidifier needs to be drained.
It also becomes super easy to clean out the bucket in a quick fashion coupled with its front-access handle. The auto-stop feature prevents the Haier dehumidifier from running once its bucket becomes completely filled.
This averts accidents and imparts greater longevity to the device. You can also attach a drain connection at the back of the unit with a standard garden hose for draining out all the accumulated moisture into a floor drain.
It becomes super easy to move around the dehumidifier from one room to another coupled with its durable caster wheels.
What We Liked:
- The unit stands buffered from all chances of frost build-up with its auto defrost feature.
- Can remove 70-pint moisture daily for guaranteeing greater comfort during the sweaty summer months.
- Built-in pump help with continuous upward drainage.
- Dual speed settings help in taking your pick in accordance with your personal preference.
- The accompanying drain tube can be hooked up with the drain pump for directing the water into the sink or out of the window.
5. EdgeStar DEP701WP 70 Pint Portable Dehumidifier with Built in Drain Pump
The EdgeStarDEP701WP dehumidifier comes with a drain pump which makes it the perfect choice for catering to your excess humidity woes.
It has been specially built for cleansing up to 1500 square feet space from excess moisture.
The EdgeStar model can thus efficiently pull out 70 pints of moisture over a 24-hour period to keep you buffered from all chances of allergies.
This compact dehumidifier can easily fit into the smallest corners of your house to ensure optimum utilisation of available space.
You can also move it around with ease courtesy the mobile casters which add up to its level of portability.
On reaching your desired humidity level both the fan and compressor of the EdgeStar model shuts off automatically for saving energy.
The auto-defrost and frost guard features can keep you buffered from succumbing to chilly temperatures at the dead of night.
The polypropylene filter needs to be washed occasionally for adding to its performance valour.
Its internal drain pump can expel excess moisture both horizontally and vertically up to 16 feet away.
You can take your pick amongst the relative humidity level of 30-90% along with 5% increments for catering to your specific requirements.
Temperatures below 65°F has proved to adversely affect the functioning of its peer dehumidifiers. However, the EdgeStar model retains its brilliance even at super cold temperature of 41°F.
What We Liked:
- Non-ozone damaging R410A refrigerant is used by the EdgeStar dehumidifier which guarantees a minimal environmental footprint.
- Auto Restart option can be of great help in places suffering from acute power outages as the machine starts operating at the last configured settings whenever the power gets restored.
- Dual speed fan provides greater level of flexibility as you get to choose your desired level for controlling both output and system noise.
- Energy Star certified dehumidifier brings ahead substantial savings in electric expenses.
You can easily suck out the damp feeling from your laundry room and basement with a dehumidifier.
A humidity level exceeding 50% serves as the breeding ground for mildew, dust mites as well as mold which triggers various forms of health ailments.
A typical dehumidifier makes use of a fan for pulling out moisture from the air before dripping the same into a tank.
Most of the models mentioned above can be used for automatically draining out water into a sink by connecting it with a water hose.
Some even have added features such as frost control for preventing the build-up of frost on the coils and auto restart which helps tremendously in the event of power failure.
Thus, it is imperative to consider your specific requirements prior to taking the purchase call.